Pages

Friday, June 26, 2009

Mmm mmm good!

I just made a wonderful Strawberry Rhubarb Crisp and had to share the recipe! It just came out of the oven, and after about 10 minutes of sitting, I had to dig in! It is a great combination of tart and sweet although I like it a lot because it's not too sweet. I did use more fruit then it called for because I wanted to use up my strawberries, and I had a lot of Rhubarb to use as well.

I signed up at work for a "Harvest Bag" from Sun Gold Farms this summer with a friend of mine. We get fresh veggies/fruits/flowers/herbs every Thursday! It started June 18th and will go through October. The first week our harvest bag included Oregon strawberries (SOO sweet and delicious!) lettuce, pinto beans, rhubarb, onions, kohlrabi, and a calendula plant. My mom also signed up for the same thing through her employer and she wasn't going to use the rhubarb, so I acquired hers as well. Yesterday we received even more rhubarb (and more yummies of course) so I decided I best be gettin' baking with all my fresh rhubarb!  So since I had extra rhubarb and extra strawberries, I added more fruit to the recipe (see below) I think this is one of those things you can't mess up too bad...  It's all personal preference.

Strawberry Rhubarb Crisp

Ingredients:
1 cup white sugar
3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
3 cups sliced fresh strawberries (I used about 4.5 cups)
3 cups diced rhubarb (I used about 5 large stalks)
1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
1 cup packed brown sugar
1 cup butter
1 cup rolled oats

Directions:
Preheat oven to 375 degrees F (190 degrees C).

In a large bowl, mix white sugar, 3 tablespoons flour, strawberries, and rhubarb. Place the mixture in a 9x13 inch baking dish.


Mix 1 1/2 cups flour, brown sugar, butter, and oats until crumbly. You may want to use a pastry blender for this (I just mixed it with my thoroughly washed hands). Crumble on top of the rhubarb and strawberry mixture.


Bake 45 minutes in the preheated oven, or until crisp and lightly browned.

 Ta Da!


Enjoy!

xoxo,
Elena

No comments: